HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
HCO POLICY LETTER OF 14 JUNE 19651
POLITICS, FREEDOM FROM
(Originally written by LRH as Sec ED 56 Int, 14 June 65. Issued as an HCO PL on 10 Jan. 68.)
1. I hereby declare Scientology to be nonpolitical and non ideological.
2. Politics and ideology may be no part of any decision to train or process individuals, and any such interrogation shall cease to be a part of any application for training, processing or membership.
3. This does not change any policy relating to suppressive persons. It does delete any words in any form which seek to bring about a statement of political allegiance or antagonism.
4. It must be kept in mind and brought forward emphatically that Scientology does not work in the absence of official control and, no matter who sought to use its principles, has uniformly failed in the hands of non-Scientologists and organizations not controlled by the Central Organizations of Scientology or myself.
5. The reason for this declaration is the consistent disaster visited upon her “allies” by the United States government and the efforts of that government since 1955, stepped up since 1963, to seize Scientology in the United States rather than forbid or stop it and the role played by the United States in inspiring the Victorian State attacks in Australia. Scientology technology is no longer offered to the United States government in any effort to assist her in political ends. Our participation extends only to our willingness to process US officials as individuals unconnected with their political aims, if as individuals they are not debarred by other existing policies relating to treating the insane or our ethics system.
6. All statements attacking any political entity or ideology are hereby withdrawn and cancelled in any lectures or literature.
7. Scientologists may be members of any political group on this planet without restraint only so long as these individuals or that group do not attempt to seize Scientology for their own warlike ends and so make it unworkable or distasteful by invidious connection.
8. Scientology is for a free people and is itself on this date declared free of any political connection or allegiance of any kind whatever.
L. RON HUBBARD