HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
SUPPRESSIVE PERSONS, MAIN CHARACTERISTICS OF
It is interesting in the detection of suppressive persons that they use “policy” to prevent purpose.
In one org which went into a serious decline a suppressive person was in a high position.
Every time org personnel returned from Saint Hill and proposed that the org get going, they were told by this SP that their proposals were “against policy.”
Not one of these people, hearing this, ever alerted to a glaring fact. The SP in this case was renowned for never being able to pass a bulletin, tape or policy letter!
So how would that person have known WHAT was against policy for that person NEVER was known to pass a hat check!
So that person’s statement that “It’s against policy” was obviously false since the person was incapable of passing hat checks or bulletins and wouldn’t ever have known what any policy was, for or against anything.
Thus, we see one of the characteristics of an SP is:
1. THE NEGATION OF POLICY WITHOUT KNOWING IT AND THE USE OF “POLICY” TO PREVENT SUCCESS IN SCIENTOLOGY IS THE PRIMARY TOOL OF THE SP AGAINST ORGS.
Dissemination is a prime target of the SP.
Magazines ordinarily have half a dozen SPs on their lines. These people write in and complain about ads. If you don’t watch it, these half dozen become “everybody” and the mag is beaten down into not advertising.
“Soft sell” is another recommendation of the SP.
And “build it quietly” and “get only decent people” are all part of this.
When somebody is demanding less reach, that person is an SP.
Therefore, we have another characteristic:
2. SPs RECOMMEND INEFFECTIVE DISSEMINATION AND FIND FAULT WITH ANY BEING DONE.
A suppressive will try to sell off the property or buildings of an org, and in one case tried to give them away when temporarily in charge.
3. A SUPPRESSIVE WILL TRY TO GET RID OF AN ORG.
Good staff members are a prime target for SPs. In one org where an SP got a foothold, 60% of the staff was gotten rid of and the org almost crashed.
They do it by making people too dissatisfied to produce and so make it impossible for the org to earn.
4. AN SP WILL SEEK TO UPSET AND GET RID OF THE BEST STAFF MEMBERS.
Bad news, particularly if false, is the only comm line of the SP.
The executive who is getting bad news as a steady diet on his lines has SPs about.
5. ENTHETA IS THE SOLE STOCK IN TRADE OF THE SP.
The triumph an SP feels in not getting rid of things the auditor has tried to ease is quite malevolent.
6. AN SP IS SATISFIED WITH AUDITING ONLY WHEN HE GETS WORSE.
7. SPs are happy when their pcs get worse and sad when their pcs get betters.
8. AN SP IN AN EXAMINER POST WILL ONLY DECLARE RELEASED THE BAD RESULT CASES AND WILL NOT PASS ACTUAL RELEASES BUT WILL ARC BREAK THEM.
9. Cover invalidation is the level of an SP’s social intercourse.
An SP can only restimulate another; he has no power of his own.
10. An SP deals only in restimulation, never easing or erasing.
11. The persons around an SP get so restimulated they can’t detect the real SP.
The whole rationale of the SP is built on the belief that if anyone got better, the SP would be for it as the others could overcome him then.
He is fighting a battle he once fought and never stopped fighting. He is in an incident. Present time people are mistaken by him for past, long-gone enemies.
Therefore, he never really knows what he is fighting in present time, so just fights.
12. The SP is sure everyone is against him personally and if others became more powerful they would dispose of him.
The SP usually commits continuing overts. These are hidden.
I have had two or three SPs blow up and shout or snarl at me. When I investigated, I found, in these cases, they were committing daily crimes of some magnitude.
13. An SP commits hidden overts continuously.
14. Back of a crime you will find SP characteristics.
15. Because an SP uses generalities in his speech “everybody,” “they,” etc., the SP is hard to detect.
SPs have an experiential track that is poor. SPs know how to needle and commit overts and hold others back.
When released, the SP has so little decent background experience that he or she has a very hard time.
16. Releasing an SP does not make a worthwhile person. It only makes a person who can now learn to get along in life.
“A cleared cannibal is a cleared cannibal.”
SPs don’t get case gains. Sometimes they pretend them. They are held back by their continuing overts. If we were found by them to be decent, their past conduct would swell up and engulf them.
They are in a continual PTP of their fight with mankind. And they follow the rule that pcs with PTPs get no case gains.
Real SPs comprise about 2½ percent of the population. By restimulating others, they make another 17½ percent into potential trouble sources. Therefore, about 20 percent of the population is Ethics type.
We must not allow this 20 percent to prevent the 80 percent from crossing the Bridge.
We are no enemy of the SP. But he can’t have friends, can he?
So we handle the SP and his PTSes and carry on with our job.
L. RON HUBBARD