December 16, 19691
GO 121669 MSH
To: All D/A/Guardians for Intelligence
PROGRAMME: INTELLIGENCE: INTERNAL SECURITY
OBSERVATION: The enemy has used the method of infiltration to obtain information against ourselves as known from incidences in South Africa, Edinburgh and Washington, D.C.
The enemy has also “turned” and used as double agents Staff members as revealed by Maurice Johnson at Saint Hill and Barbara Peake in Melbourne.
Further, the enemy has used former disaffected staff members, Scientologists or relatives of Scientologists in their attacks – Philip Wearne and Doug Moon in Australia, Jean Kennedy and Gene van Niekerk in South Africa, Michael Pernetta and Mrs. Henslow in England, Eleanor Turner and the former Mrs. Elmo Troup in America and the O’Donnell family in New Zealand, to name but a few of the outstanding examples.
Although infiltrators and double agents can create more internal chaos and disorder in an organization, the enemy has been most successful in their attacks through the use of disaffected staff, Scientologists or relatives of Scientologists and the biggest gross error an organization can make as regards its own security is violations of the HCO Policy Letter of October 27, 1964, “Policies on Physical Healing, Insanity and Potential Trouble Sources”.
The duty of keeping the organization secure belongs in the HCO Division, both in RAP and Inspections and Reports, but the Intelligence Bureau has learned through long experience that it cannot leave this function entirely up to HCO and where it has done so, it has had to suffer the consequences. Thus this Programme is a vital one.
MAJOR TARGET: To use any and all means to detect any infiltration, double agent or disaffected staff member, Scientologist or relatives of Scientologists and by any and all means to render null any potential threat or harm such have rendered or might render to Scientology and Scientologists.
1. This Programme is to be done by the Asst. Guardian or the D/A/Guardian for Intelligence, if this post is held separately.
2. To establish Intelligence files on all such persons found to be infiltrators, double agents, and disaffected staff members, Scientologists and relatives of Scientologists.
1. To make full use of all files on the organization to effect your major target. These include personnel files, Ethics files, Dead files, Central files, training files, processing files and requests for refunds.
2. To assemble full data by investigation of each person located for possible use in case of attack or for use in preventing any attack and to keep files of such. (Bold emphasis added.)
3. To be alert to usual security precautions and to see that these are performed by the organization; such as proper locking of the premises, security of keys, locking of files, the changing of locks if keys have been lost, proper safes, etc.
4. To keep off staff and off org lines any person who has ever betrayed Scientology or who has threatened to betray or blackmail Scientology.
5. To ensure the Policy Letter on Physical Healing, Insanity and Potential Trouble Sources is not violated and to be alert to any possible violations.
6. To maintain a good liason line to Ethics and ensure that the Ethics Officer alerts you to any person who might attack Scientology.
7. To be alert to any organizational theft or disappearances of records and files as a possible indication of the presence of an infiltrator or double agent. Infiltrators are frequently those who have recently “joined” Scientology and so can be watched. Double agents are usually detected by natter, down stats, disorder in their areas and no case gain.
8. To be effective and imaginative in your collection of data and in your actions to nullify any attack or threat of attack.
9. To keep your Asst. Guardian fully advised and the D/Guardian for Intelligence WW, who will inform the Guardian WW in such matters.
PRODUCTION TARGET: This is a continuing Programme on which Projects will be issued from time to time.
Mary Sue Hubbard CS-G