OFFICE OF SPECIAL AFFAIRS NETWORK ORDER
OSA NW ORDER 18
17 February 19881
FCB Executive Division
WHY GOVERNMENT ATTACKS RELIGION
(Taken from an LRH advice of 1979. Issued as an OSA NW Order on 17 February 1988.)
The factual reasons are:
1. The Roman Empire was overthrown by Christianity and this is deeply engrained in history.
2. Religions force a morality on governments which they would rather not have much to do with. Any religious leaders in the past century and even in the past half century have taken the government to task, amongst them Cardinal Spellman .
3. The government knows it can’t function without the allegiance of a population. Religious people tend to give their allegiance to God. The government is jealous of this divided attention.
4. Psychiatry and psychology try to bend the will of the people. Both subjects are violently atheistic and can only survive providing they can maintain a monopoly on the control of the minds of children and the population at government expense.
5. Governments fear the arising of a spiritual leader who may lead the population to resist decrees and exploitation. They therefore try to depopularize, blacken the reputation of, or assassinate any potential spiritual leader.
Religious persecution occurs at those times when a government is ruthless and oppressive and seeks total dominance of the citizenry. Since World War II, we have been trying to live with such a government.
L. RON HUBBARD
Adopted by the
CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY
 Cardinal Spellman, Francis Joseph, 1889-1967, U.S. Roman Catholic clergyman: Archbishop of New York 1939-67. (Random House Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition.)
HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
HCO POLICY LETTER OF 29 OCTOBER 19621
Urgent to DC
NY and LA
(Furnish a copy of this to all attorneys dealing with our interests for us.)
It is of interest to all organizations that all Scientology incorporations are religious in nature.
Not only the Founding Church of Scientology or the Churches of Scientology in the United States, but also all HASI, Inc., offices (which includes all British and Commonwealth offices, as HASI, Ltd., is not fully in force anywhere except New Zealand) are religious corporations.
In the HASI, Inc., incorporation papers the corporation is clearly designated as a “religious fellowship.”
The use of the E-Meter in Scientology, but not Dianetics, is describable as follows:
“All religions seek truth.
“Freedom of the spirit is only to be found on the road to Truth.
“Sin is composed, according to Scientology, of lies and hidden actions and is therefore untruth.
“The Electrometer is used to disclose truth to the individual who is being processed and thus free him spiritually.
“Only in this way can man’s spiritual self be regained.
“A religious Confessional fails only when not guided by a modern instrument such as the Electrometer.
“Religions in the 1960s use modern aids. The Electrometer is a valid religious instrument, used in Confessionals, and is in no way diagnostic and does not treat.
“Regardless of any earlier uses of psychogalvanometers in Dianetics or psychology or in early Scientology publications when research was in progress, the Electrometer in Scientology today has no other use than as described above.”
In view of the “interest” the Food and Drug Administration has in the E-Meter, the above data is vital and must be impressed upon investigating agents as it is only the truth of the matter. They thought that outside the US Scientology was not religious, which is false. The impression must be strongly corrected in the FDA at once.
Dianetics used an older instrument to detect engrams. The book Electropsychometric Auditing is entirely a Dianetic manual.
L. RON HUBBARD